Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links
Historical background 1855 - 1871
 
Hine now prepared a modified layout plan. The increased prosperity of the Town and its new entrepreneurs meant that there was now a demand for large houses with private gardens and, sometimes, carriage houses. Gone were the Nash styled rows of stuccoed terraces, to be superseded by substantial houses in local red brick. Work on the roads and the next phase began that year.

Apart from minor variations, Hine’s new plan for a residential estate with roads, crescents and circuses lined by trees as represented on Salmons map of 1861 was, over the next 50 years, brought to fruition. In the first 10 years, in what can conveniently be described as phase two, Hine built houses on the fringes of The Park, at Castle Grove and Newcastle Drive as well as Clinton Terrace, on Derby Road. Here, instead of individual houses, he built an imposing five storey building similar in scale to Robinson’s adjacent Derby Terrace, but in red brick (now, sadly, much altered). He also, for the first time, constructed houses across the southern part of the Park on South Road and along Lenton Road. Many of these houses in red brickwith stone dressings, including characteristic use of buff brickworkas decorative bands or diaper patterns, varied in style from simple elegance to flamboyance.


Clinton Terrace c 1870

 


View across The Park. Greenwood 1850

Unfortunately the death of the 5th Duke, who was then the Colonial Secretary, in 1864, lead to the estate again being put into the hands of trustees and building work effectively ceased. Although the majority of the estate roads, mostly named after members of the Newcastle family, were completed by 1871, probably no more than 25 houses had been built in the preceding ten years.

Salmon 1861
Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy