Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links
Historical background 1871 - 1918
 
However, the 1870's saw an improvement in economic conditions with the revival of the trade in cotton, lace and hosiery, and building work recommenced. The Barracks were demolished in 1871 and now, for the first time, there was to be development in the central area, phase three had begun. T.C. Hine together with his assistant Robert Evans and later his son George Thomas Hine designed many of the houses in The Park, although Hine remained the estate surveyor, who had to approve all plans, other local architects were now designing new houses including Arthur Marshall and Watson Fothergill. Watson Fothergill's recognisable style included ornamented brickwork and stonework, complex roof forms, soaring chimney stacks and half timbered gables, turrets and towers.

In 1877 The Park was absorbed by the Town, although the Nottingham Borough Extension Act made specific "provision for protection of Nottingham Park Estate", which still continues to this day. The following year saw the completion of the restoration of the gutted shell of the Castle into a Museum.

By now building work in The Park was increasing rapidly, particularly in the boom years between 1880 and 1895. Many of the large and imposing villas were built as adjoining pairs. This served two purposes; it made the house larger and therefore grander and it also provided a separate part that could either be let, or used by the owners' extended family.

When T.C.Hine retired in 1891 only a few vacant plots remained, mainly in the south eastern area of Huntingdon Drive, Hamilton Drive and Hope Drive. These areas were completed during the Edwardian period with smaller, more compact housing lacking the flamboyance of their predecessors and effectively forming the fourth, and final phase.

By 1918 the estate, as planned by T.C.Hine over 60 years before, was effectively completed. It comprised 363 houses, of which 350 survive, together with a bowling green on Duke William

Mount and, what was called "public recreation ground" on Tattershall Drive. This area being set aside to compensate the local population for the loss of "their" park! It survives as tennis courts and another bowling green.


1881

Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy