Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links

26 Barrack Lane

Detached house c1905-1910. Barrack Lane, previously named Barrack Road, formed main access to Army Barracks in The Park from Derby Road. Barracks, built c1793 demolished c1870, replaced by sections of new estate roads Pelham Crescent and Cavendish Crescent North. Site of houses on Barrack Lane previously used as allotment/gardens. Red brick with stone dressings and gabled plain tile roof. Two storeys plus attic and basement. In single household use. Various extensions and additions including flat roofed bathroom added at second floor level on left side of main gabled front. Also, a number of single storey additions including porch on road front, flat roofed garage building adjacent to Barrack Lane and flat roofed kitchen side extension. Single storey canted window bay on road front with lean-to, plain tiled, canopy roof on brackets. Above, at first and second floor levels, single window openings with cross casement windows plus stone lintels and sills. Various casement window openings on side elevations with segmental brick arched heads and stone sills. Canted window bay on garden front with, originally, framed balconies. Gabled roof extended on garden front to provide canopy over timber framed balcony at attic level. Later glazed infill of lower balcony area to create garden room. Previous timber frame with brickwork infill at basement level under balcony now rebuilt, with added external staircase to ground floor level. Casement windows with stone lintels on garden front. Some door and window alterations. Stonework now painted. Plain tile roof with decorative ridge tiles and clay finials. Prominent gables with bargeboards and ties. Square flat roofed brick tower with corner pillars. Red brick chimney stacks with corbel and string course detail. A number of original pots removed or replaced. Original rainwater fittings replaced and further pipework added. Steeply sloping site with garden at basement level adjacent to house. Garden continues to slope down to stone boundary wall on Harlaxton Drive. Section of original coursed rubble stone boundary wall with gate piers survives. Other sections of wall lost to garage building and enlarged openings for car parking access.

Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy

26 barrack lane

click anywhere to close this gallery