Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links

Ravine House: 21 Lenton Road

Probably by archiect Hine & Evans c 1862 with builder John Barker: Letter, July 1905, confirms assignment of lease from Robert Evans to his son Robert Evans Jnr. who was occupying the premises at that time. House together with houses on Castle Grove and others on Lenton Road are the earliest in the southern part of The Park. Three storeys including attic storey plus basement. In single household use. Single storey lean-to side extension added c1998. Former coach house / stables building at bottom of garden facing Clifton Terrace now separately owned and converted for residential use. Red brick facades with distinctive Hine detail of small inset buff brick / stone panels arranged as decorative band at first floor and eaves levels. Twin flat roofed, canted window bays on garden facade either side of central doorway. Main entrance doorway on side elevation with moulded stone surround forming part of shallow, bay terminating at roof level in open-bed moulded stone pediment. Diaper brick patterns on Park Ravine facade. Moulded stone surrounds to door and windows generally plus eaves and string courses at storey height levels. Stone capping to brick plinth at base of facades. Stonework now painted. Hipped slate roof with clay ridges and lead roll hips. Prominent pair of original and later dormer windows on each of three main elevations with half round heads to casement windows, pediments and shaped ornamental side brackets. Dormers facing garden are a later addition. Brick chimney stacks with stone plinth heads, moulded caps and brick string course. A number of original crown pots remain. Original c.i. rainwater fittings replaced. Sash windows generally, some with glazing bars. Original half-glazed panelled main entrance door. Garden door replaced. Garden area originally extended over former coach house / stables building. Original gate opening in Lenton Road boundary wall widened c1910 and brick boundary walls rebuilt, reinstating stone balustrading on Park Ravine.

Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy

21 lenton road

click anywhere to close this gallery