Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links

12 Cavendish Crescent North

Built c.1885, this house, which remains in single household use, is one half of a prominent building overlooking the ‘Bowl’ of The Park. The building is located on sloping ground with two storeys above ground facing Cavendish Crescent North and three storeys facing the garden. Formerly named ‘Hazelwood’ the external appearance of the three storey building matched its neighbour at No.10, originally named ‘Chamwood’. However, there have been a number of significant alterations to No.12 including the addition of a flat roofed canted brick and stone bay at ground level on the Cavendish Crescent North facade plus a two storey rear extension c1910 forming additions to the morning room and a bedroom. The original garden of the house extended to Tattershall Drive with a stable block which was converted to garaging and a conservatory c.1920. Unfortunately the former stable block and a substantial part of the garden were lost to a development of ‘town houses’c.1970 adjacent to Tattershall Drive. The original slate roof covering has been replaced and the upper parts of the chimney stacks have been removed. The roof form is comparatively complex with either hips or gables expressed at the top of each of the elevational bays. Red brick facade, in reasonable condition, with corbelled and moulded brick and terracotta gable verges, eaves, string courses plus segmental arches or triangular pediments over many door and window openings. A variety of stylistic influences. Stone lintels, sills and surrounds to door and window openings, now painted, with a single stone string course at first floor level on the garden facade, also painted. Original gutters and downpipes have been replaced with a black plastic type. Some damage to moulded brick string courses during the replacement or repositioning of downpipes. Many of the original vertical sliding sash windows remain although there have been some removals and replacements, particularly during the works to the two storey rear extension c.1910. The front brick boundary wall with brick gate piers and stone caps has been substantially rebuilt. The split level garden, now reduced in size, is separated from the garden of no.10 with a fence and what appears to be the original brick garden walls forms the boundary with No.14.

Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy

12 cavendish crescent north

click anywhere to close this gallery