Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links

19 Pelham Crescent

One of a group of similar houses built in pairs on Pelham Crescent c1868-70 by John Loverseed. Layout of The Park Estate, by Hine & Evans 1855-56, anticipated a sweeping crescent linking North Road with Lenton Avenue. However, continued use of Barracks in area resulted in Pelham Crescent becoming a cul-de-sac. House and outbuildings now converted into flats. Three storeys plus basement. Originally red brick facades with stone dressings, (?), now rendered and painted. Double pitched slate roof with gables and gabled dormers. Original single and two storey pitched roof rear extension and outbuildings now partly altered and added to, including two storey flat roofed, square abutment to provide later entrance. Single storey, flat roofed, canted window bays to main front and entrance facades. Glazing bar sash windows generally with a number of sash and casement window alterations and additions. Steel fire escape platform with ladder added adjacent to Venetian window to gable and gabled dormer window on garden front. Also, fire escape platform and ladders fitted to main entrance facade, with railings added to flat roof of main entrance porch. Original window openings in singles or pairs plus a number with semicircular arched heads. Panelled main entrance door with half round overlight. Moulded stone surrounds to all original door and window openings, now painted. Sill band with brackets at first floor level on all facades. A number of original moulded stone details including cornices and copings to canted window bays and entrance porch now removed. Originally, full width decorative band/frieze at eaves level on main entrance facade, now rendered over. Prominent gables on main front and entrance facades with gabled dormer on front and rear facades. Double pitched slate roof to original two storey rear extension with shared gabled dormer. Bargeboards to gables and gabled dormers with overhanging eaves and timber fascias. Red brick ridge chimney stack with corbelled head. Other stacks substantially altered. Original rainwater fittings replaced and further pipework added. Originally, large garden area used communally with Haddon House but now subdivided. Electrical sub-station built in former rear garden area. Original rear garden area now used for car parking. Original brick boundary wall adjacent to Pelham Crescent with 20c enlarged opening to provide car parking access plus new gated opening with brick/stone piers.

Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy

19 pelham crescent

click anywhere to close this gallery