Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links

4 South Road

One of a pair of houses (with 3 Clumber Crescent South). Possibly by architects Hine & Son 1870-75. Also known as Parkhurst. Now converted into flats. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate hipped and gabled roof. Two storeys plus basement and attics. Early 20c slate roof lean-to extension and later single storey, hipped roof extension added in yard area adjacent to Clumber Crescent South. Original single storey wing to yard area now converted for garage use, possibly by Swann & Wright c1925. Three storey rectangular and canted window bays on road fronts with two storey canted window bay with hipped roof overlooking garden. Three storey square entrance porch with hipped roof. Bull nose brick detail with corbelling at eaves and gable verges plus string course with nailhead brick moulding at first floor level. Moulded and splay brick details to a number of window reveals plus semicircular arched heads with voussoirs to second floor windows on canted bay. Part of ground floor brickwork now rendered and painted. Stonework details include head and sill bands, door and window surrounds including moulded main entrance doorway, large mullioned window plus shaped lintels and sills including Venetian window opening at gable. Also, stone kneelers to gables with angled and corner details on bays and chimney stacks. Slate roof with gable, gabled dormer and hipped bays. Clay ridge and hip tiles. Lead flashings to canted bay facing garden. Flat roofed dormer window and roof windows added. Original red brick chimney stack on entrance front with string courses and altered cap. Original red brick stack facing Clumber Crescent South now taken down to just above gutter level. Central red brick stack rebuilt. Original rainwater fittings replaced and further pipework added. Originally, combination of plain and single bar sash windows, now a number of alterations and replacements. Prominent original boundary wall enclosing garden adjacent to South Road and Cavendish Crescent South with coursed rubble stone plinth, blue brick plinth stretchers and red brick garden wall with moulded string course and saddleback copings. Gated opening in boundary wall with brick and stone square piers. Original brick boundary wall adjacent to Clumber Crescent South now replaced by later extensions and alterations.

Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy

4 south road

click anywhere to close this gallery