Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links

8 The Ropewalk

Originally pair of houses c1830-1840, possibly converted for single household use by 1881 with substantial side extensions and alterations. Two storeys plus basement. Rendered facades with hipped and gabled slate roofs. Now converted into Solicitors’ office, also occupying nos.10 and 12. Lower part of original terraced garden converted into car park and extended into former lower garden area of nos. 10 and 12. Original building, probably of simple rectangular plan form, now almost impossible to identify on road front because of alterations and substantial two storey side extensions. Large side extensions completed in second half of 19c with 20c further additions and alterations. Later alterations to openings on original garden front including single storey bow window bay. Eaves cornice above. To right, two storey 19c side extension plus 20c two storey, flat roofed addition with steel fire escape platform and staircase. To left on garden front, 19c single and two storey side additions plus access drive from road to rear car park area. Original brick retaining wall to former upper garden terrace with steps. Square brick pier at bottom of left hand steps now demolished to allow car access. Stone doorcase to right hand steps. Original brick garden wall between nos.8 and 10/12 demolished to extend car parking area. Prominent and partially rebuilt red and buff patterned brick retaining wall to former garden area adjacent to Newcastle Terrace with square brick gate piers and moulded stone caps. These gated entrances with steps up from Newcastle Terrace, originally forming access to ‘front’ of building, now bricked up. Newcastle Terrace, popular early 19c promenade for Town inhabitants with distant views over undeveloped Park and across Trent valley, significantly reduced in width c1980 during rebuilding works to retaining wall on Newcastle Drive.

Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy

8 the ropewalk

click anywhere to close this gallery