Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links

26 The Ropewalk

One of a pair of houses c1828-29. Now converted into offices. Nos. 24 and 26 were leased to James Wallis from the Duke of Newcastle on 1 January 1829. Part of a group of houses on The Ropewalk which were amongst the first to be developed in The Park c1828-34. Formerly gardens, the site had prominent views over Nottingham Terrace, (now named Park Terrace) and across The Park. The 4th Duke of Newcastle had grand aesthetic aspirations for a select ‘residential plan’ in The Park and by identifying these plots and commencing building work he aggravated Town inhabitants who were concerned at impending loss of The Park as an area of common recreational use. Simple rectangular plan form of original house now obscured by side and roof extensions and alterations. Two storeys plus basement and attic. Painted stucco. 3 storey road front facing The Ropewalk with late 19c canted oriel window. Glazing bar sashes at ground floor level with glazed canopy and porch over entrance steps. Glazing bar sash windows at first floor level with moulded surrounds. Moulded eaves course above with plain band in shallow relief and blocking course. Above again, unsightly 20c flat roofed extension at attic level, over original part of house. To the left, 3 storey mid 19c side extension with coped chimney stack. Garden front, 2 storeys with 20c flat roofed storey height extension at attic level. Single sash window to ground and first floors with moulded and lugged surrounds and sill brackets. To the right, early 20c 2 storey flat roofed bow window bay with 5 no. leaded casement lights at each level. Original eaves cornice and chimney stacks removed. Glazing bar sashes with moulded and lugged surrounds to 2 storey, mid 19c hipped roof side extension. 20c fire escape platform and ladder from attic doorway in original gable. Original garden area converted for car parking use with new opening in Park Terrace boundary wall for vehicle access. Large part of road front yard area now infilled with pitched roof garage building, replacing earlier outbuilding.

Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy

26 the ropewalk

click anywhere to close this gallery