Contact Us   Sign In/Register
Search Add Data
About the Trust  
Inception ~ Remit ~ Other Projects ~ Park Plan ~ The Tunnel ~ Maintenance Guidance Leaflet
About the Project  
Study Objectives ~ Historical Background ~ Development and Style
How to use the site  
Search Criteria ~ Map Search ~ Information Sheets ~ Adding Additional Information
The Park Houses  
350 data sheets of all the Park Estate's pre 1918 houses ~ Additional Information
Further Information  
Previous Projects ~ Future Projects ~ External Links

22 and 24 Cavendish Crescent North

Built c.1885 this substantial house, now split into two separate households, is one of four similar houses built adjacent to each other. (Nos.16, 18, 20 and 22/24). Three of the four houses have been subdivided in a similar manner with the main part of the house occupied by one household and the former kitchen, butler’s and maids’ accommodation now converted into a separate dwelling. Part of the original garden adjacent to Tattershall Drive has been lost to residential development c.1982. The building fabric remains predominantly intact and in good condition. There are no significant external alterations or extensions apart from some recent door and window replacements and the building of a flat roofed garage which has resulted in the loss of part of the original boundary wall to Cavendish Crescent North. Plain tile ridged, bonnet hipped and gable roofs. Some modern roof windows added. Prominent brick corbelled chimney stacks with attractive brick relief patterning. The majority of original ‘crown’ chimney pots remain. Red brick facades with corbelled and moulded brick detail at eaves, gable verges, string courses and bay roofs. Distinctive Italianate brick arch styling to window openings and frieze at second floor level. Projecting section of front facade with two storey canted brick and stone window bay. Two projecting three storey sections on rear facade, including three storey canted brick and stone window bay. Prominentunpainted stone main entrance portico with Corinthian column capitals, entablature and balustrading. Stone lintels, sills and surrounds to door and window openings, all unpainted. Stone hood mould detailing to second floor windows on front facade. Large distinctive leaded light landing window on side elevation with stone mullions and transom. Circular stone motif on gable above. Stone balustrade to canted bay on side elevation. Much of the original cast iron gutters and downpipes have been replaced with black or grey plastic. Original vertical sliding sash windows generally intact. Original brick boundary wall and gate piers on Cavendish Crescent North remain apart from sections lost to garage adjacent to No.20. Original brick boundary wall with Bulwell stone plinth on Tunnel Road with later garage openings. The remnant of the original garden area now subdivided to suit new separate household situation. Original brick garden wall between No.22 and No.20 remains.

Terms and Conditions Site Map
Disclaimer Privacy

22 24 cavendish crescent north

click anywhere to close this gallery